Buongiorno, signore!
Some trips are built around sightseeing. This was not one of those trips. This trip revolved around paperwork, patience and a lot of crossing fingers. We did, however, manage to include good food with good friends and plenty of small moments that made the waiting easier.
Having gone through my own visa process last April, we had a basic idea of what to expect. This time, I was determined to charm the security reception officer with my much-improved Italian. But first, it was time for a good dinner and a good night's sleep.
On our walk to dinner, we spotted The Hammer Museum and made a little mental note for later.
Buggy Bear Crashes
by Alake Shilling
Veggie Bowls
grilled corn, zucchini, asparagus over wild rice
The next morning we arrived at the Consulate early and were first in line. It was the same security guard from last year. I explained our reason for being there in Italian. He understood--then switched to English. Still, I'm convinced he was marginally nicer to us this time, in fact, we were the only ones in line he didn't yell at, which felt like a win.
I left Ira for his appointment and waited downstairs, offering quiet encouragement to those behind us. From my seat in the lobby, I watched a few people leave almost immediately--never a good sign. One gentleman sat beside me, worried he was too early. I encouraged him to go back upstairs and explained how the process worked. Look at me: unofficial Consulate guide and counselor.
About an hour and a half later, Ira came down with another woman who was crying--happily. After ten years of trying, she finally had her passport.
Ira had his own story. He'd won over the agent with his Coop and Conad cards (those loyalty cards are paying dividends). But then came the request for return flight information, which we didn't yet have. The agent sent him outside to buy a ticket, email it, and come back in. Thankfully, Ira handled it calmly and got right through security again.
Paperwork accepted. Now we just needed his passport back in time.
Woohoo!
We celebrated by heading to a pastry cafe nearby and settled in for breakfast and a few hours of waiting. Conveniently, there was a music store in the Consulate building, and I found exactly what I'd hoped for--anthology books at my current level and a few for future goals.
Music books
Hammer Museum
The Hour Wherein
by Greg Breda
Close Up
Liana Pulse
Scald Rain
Sporelight
C'est la vie, mon ami, 2025
by Alake Shilling
The Artist Reimagined as a Turtle Bug, 2025
by Alake Shilling
Juno, ca. 1662-65
Rembrandt Harmensz. van Rijn
View of Bordighera, 1884
Claude Monet
Touc, Seated on a Table, ca. 1879-81
Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec
The Sower, ca. 1888
Vincent van Gogh
Close up
We finished with John Knight's minimalist installation. Neither of us quite "got it," but maybe that was the point.
Electric blanket (plugged in)
Ad accompanying John Knight's blanket
Lunch in the courtyard followed--good food, indifferent service, excellent sourdough.
Butternut squash soup and local sourdough bread
Chicken Milanese
We filled our free time with little free libraries, trading books and logging visits on the app (yes, I'm that person).
Dinner was sushi at their favorite spot.
Yellowtail and Dragon Rolls
The next morning, Steve took the day off and took us to Yahaira's Cafe for breakfast.
I ordered pancakes. Ira ordered Huevos Yucatan. I chose...poorly. Next time. I know better.
Huevos Yucatan
Are we the only people who take pictures of mushrooms?
Steve's bonsai workshop
Pine Project
That evening, we returned to an old favorite--Amigo's in Pasadena--full of nostalgia from our Huntington Library volunteer days. Click here for the post about the last time we volunteered there and here for the post from the last time we visited.
The next morning, we were back at the Consulate early. And what should arrive?...the email...passport ready.
Victory!
Ira came down quickly, passport and visa in hand--though all our original documents were kept. Not ideal. Back to the pastry shop for strategizing. We now had a plan involving Carson City, Las Vegas, and apostilles. Not simple--but manageable.
And so, "Hirem" and I began the drive back to San Diego.
Ira's cortado
A quick stop at Roadrunner for second pairs of walking shoes and insoles turned into lunch plans with Dawn, followed by fish burritos at El Pescador and coffee at Il Giardino di Lilli.
Macchiato, Latte, Cortado and an Almond Tart
We squeezed in one last antique shop visit.....
Copper Tree sculpture on Obsidian
....picked up Mochi, grabbed groceries, repacked bags, and rested briefly before heading to the airport for our flight to Edmonton.
Exhausted. Grateful. Relieved.
This stretch reminded us that travel isn't always about landmarks and postcards. Sometimes it's about patience, paperwork, and trusting that things will work out--especially when you're surrounded by good friends, good food, and a sense of humor.
Moving on! (as our friend Deborah would say)
Ciao ciao!


































Comments
Post a Comment