Bonsai-a-thon
When we lived in Las Vegas, we used to drive to the Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens four or five times a year. I may have already mentioned that on an earlier blog, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to repeat it. Near the end of February the Golden State Bonsai Federation would host a fundraiser "Bonsai-a-thon". It was an event we looked forward to as there would be vendors, demonstrations, exhibitions, raffles and an auction. None of which were readily available in Las Vegas.
We hadn't attended in years, but since we were in San Diego, only two hours drive away, we decided to rent a car and go for old times sake. This year, they were commemorating the retirement of the curator of the bonsai collection, Ted Matson. So of course, we were going. We hoped we'd be able to see our old friend again and congratulate him.
When we arrived, the event was in full swing. We ran into so many people we hadn't seen in years. It was like old home week. As we made our way in we found Ted almost immediately, he was so surprised and happy to see us. We were able to catch up a bit before he was stolen away. So we made our way down to the commemorative exhibition downstairs.
The exhibit was a tribute to Ted Matson, curator of bonsai at The Huntington between 2009 and 2024. It showcased trees that he designed and developed with his students and volunteers. He was a student and artist of bonsai for 45 years, studying with Ben Suzuki and John Naka among many. His work at the Huntington included both the care and the artistic development of the bonsai collection as well as the training of the Botanical Volunteers. As an important educator and mentor, Ted had a great influence over many bonsai artists and hobbyists.
Trident Maple
This maple is owned by one of Ted's long time student and volunteer, Bill Stanton. I later confirmed with Ted that this was the Bill who years previous, Ira had invited the Las Vegas Bonsai club volunteers that weekend to his house to see his collection and garden. He happily accepted Ira's invitation, LOL.
Twisted Pomegranate
California Juniper
By this time we had run into our friend Naomi from Las Vegas and Steve (Georgie's dad) from Sierra Madre. It was time for lunch, so we decided to head to the Chinese garden cafe for some dumplings.
We never get tired of walking through the gardens. I snapped the shots above on our way to food. After lunch I noticed this suiseki. I'm sure it's been there for awhile, but I'm on high alert for them now.
Lot of the trees were in full bloom.
A quick spin through the Chinese garden
I've seen this stone below many times, it's been displayed in this spot for as long as I can remember. But I can appreciate it more now.
Waterfall Stone
It was a warm sunny day, a lot warmer than San Diego. The garden was just brilliant!
After our quick jaunt through the Chinese and Japanese gardens we quickly headed back to the Bonsai-a-thon for the auction. We wanted to see if there were any trees worth bidding on and bringing back to California for either David or RC.
It was fun to watch and they raised a good bit of money but we left empty handed. Instead, I suggested we hit the gift shop before heading to Steve's for dinner. This blooming succulent caught my eye on the way.
I always love going to the gift shop here. And this time didn't disappoint.
There was a faux bonsai display with a big old snake coiling through it, we assumed for the year of the snake. Can you see the snake's head popping out on the right? We found a few fun souvenirs and then headed our way to Steve's.
We had a great visit with Steve and Izzy. They told us that they were evacuated during the fires. Their house is at the base of the Sierra Madre mountains. The fire got close enough to see the glow but not the flames. Thankfully their house survived.
Steve put on a great spread of Mediterranean food. I think Georgie was a little sad that he didn't get to eat more sausage.
Before it got too late, we jumped back in the rental to drive the two hours back to San Diego. We were both feeling pretty good about the trip and all the people we got to visit with. It was a great day!
Stay tuned for our tour of La Jolla with Kris and Russ!
A dopo!















Comments
Post a Comment