Pizza, Parmigiano, and Christmas in the Air

As promised in the Crane, Chestnuts..... post, we double-checked the back of the Duomo, and compared to the last time we were here in the spring, the scaffolding is definitely lower. 

Current View of the back of the Duomo

Back of the Duomo Spring of 2025

It's nice to see the main feature of the Piazza getting some love. You'd hate to see it run down--this is the photo everyone takes when they come to Massa.

Speaking of coming to Massa, Elena was back in town for a few days, this time with Robby. We barely saw her, as her mission on this trip was to tackle some major gardening in her parents' yard. They replanted a lemon tree, planted bulbs for spring, and she didn't even make it to the organ museum this time. 

They did make time to meet us for dinner at one of the few restaurants still open in November, Le Mura. We'd heard they hired a new chef from Napoli and that the pizza had improved.

Before dinner, Elena stopped by our apartment to drop off a "package". After all the talk about Parmigiano Reggiano at the Ronzoni's, she returned from Modena with a hunk of the real deal--and very specific instructions on how to care for it. I'll share those below once we had a moment to "manage the cheese," as we've started calling it. LOL. 

Elena and my pizzas

At Le Mura, Elena and I both opted for the cinque cereali crust (a whole-grain dough). I went classic Margherita; she ordered the Napoli--Margherita plus anchovies.

Ira and Robby's pizzas

Elena and Ira agreed the pizza was good but Vanni's is better. I think I'd agree, though maybe less emphatically. The atmosphere at Vanni's definitely adds to the overall experience. Robby on the other hand said the pizza was good, but couldn't help bringing up his meal with us in Aggius--a tiny town in Sardinia with only one restaurant, but the dinner was unforgettable!

For dessert, we debated for so long that Robby finally made an executive decision: cantucci and Vin Santo. At the very last minute, I ordered a Crema Catalana, which is similar to a crème brûlée. It was fine--though they lit alcohol on top and I could still taste it, which I didn't love. The cantucci, however, were excellent: large enough to dunk properly.

Cantuccio and Vin Santo

After dinner, we walked Elena and Robby back to the Ronzoni's, partly to help digest. We had full-blown "pizza belly," LOL

Ira took this shot of the top of the Duomo--an angle we don't normally notice.

The top of the Duomo

The next morning, we realized Massa was getting ready for Christmas. They always do a lovely job with decorations; the town feels so festive. We'll wait to put up our own tree until we move into the little house in the country. Our guess is we'll be there before Christmas anyway.

A truck full of Christmas

And then it was time to take care of the cheese. It felt like a major responsibility, but we rose to the occasion.

The Official Cheese Instructions:

1. Remove the plastic from the cheese. 
2. Allow the cheese to air out for 10-15 minutes.
3. Pat the surface with a paper towel to remove any condensation. 
4. Wrap it in the special paper-plastic combo bag.
5. Return to fridge when not eating.

Parmigiano Reggiano and accessories

Big hunk o' cheese

Ira followed the instructions to the letter, and we've been enjoying the cheese with fruit ever since. We also grate it on top of....well, everything! According to Mrs. Ronzoni, 24-month Parmigiano is the perfect compromise between snacking and grating. In our humble opinion, we concur.

Side note

We were walking back from piano practice at the organ museum a little later than usual when I noticed lights on inside Le Fate Briache. I could see Caterina, so without thinking, I went over and knocked. She answered looking mildly perturbed, but once I reminded her who we were--and banked on the small amount of street cred we'd earned via Sofia and Alberto--she softened immediately.

I asked if we could make another reservation. The phone rang mid-conversation, flustering her further, but before answering she told us we could come back Saturday. We asked for a table for four; she said, no, just two. I asked if 8 p.m. was okay; she said no, 7:30. Well, ok then--we had our reservation!

My mission is to win her over and become regulars. The food is too good to risk her forgetting about us. 

When we told Sofia about our 7:30 reservation, she was skeptical (about the time, not the reservation)--and to be honest, so were we. But we weren't about to be late. And if we had to wait for 30 minutes, so be it. We were in!

Stay tuned for the next post to find out how it went!

A dopo!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Few New Updates (#250)

A New Lunch Spot, A Little Bonsai and a Lot of Contractors

A Busy Last Week in San Diego