Beck-tastic!

I am woefully behind on my blog posts, but still determined to get caught up. This is my last post before I jump into our Oregon trip--so stay tuned!

Dinner Before the Concert

We had a big night planned with our friends David and Dawn. After forty days of looking after their house, their dog, their bonsai and their koi, they had asked if we'd like to join them at a Beck concert at The Rady Shell. Of course, the answer was yes--not because either of us are huge Beck fans, but because neither of us had been to The Shell. And it was bound to be a fun night.

David had already arranged parking near the venue, so dinner needed to be within walking distance and on the quicker side. The guys found El Riqui Mariscos de Carreta, a colorful and casual Mexican restaurant with a heavy emphasis on seafood--as the name suggests.

The Bar with a Sense of Humor 

The bar

I'm not sure if I was missing an inside joke about the Campbell's Soup so prominently displayed, but I definitely related to the caption above it: "If once I said I love you, today I regret it." It reminded me of my childhood, when if I ever told my mom I loved a certain dish, she'd make it everyday for a week!
 
Campbell's Soup display

The Feast

The menu was extensive (and a little overwhelming), so I let David and Dawn handle most of the ordering. I got a single Baja-style fish taco and planned to sample everything else we shared.

We started with their signature dish: Ceviche El Riqui--fresh shrimp, cucumber, tomato onion, and cilantro in a slightly spicy chillepin sauce. I haven't had much ceviche in my life, and the few I've tried hadn't won me over...but this was different. It was fresh, bright, and flavorful. Now I understand the hype. It was gone so fast I didn't even get a photo. 

Ira snapped a picture of his enchiladas and my taco--both delicious. 

Enchiladas


David's favorite was the Camarones Don Riqui, butterflied shrimp cooked in butter and garlic. Rich, decadent, and definitely worth ordering again.

The Rady Shell

After dinner, we hustled to the venue. We were already missing the opening act we had heard so much about. David set a near-Olympic walking pace, but Ira still managed to stop for a photo of The Shell from above.

The Rady Shell

It reminds me a little of the Sydney Opera House--well maybe it's open air, smaller cousin--and is perfectly suited for San Diego's ideal weather.

We walked along the right side towards the stage, then doubled back to our seats. The "whistler" was mid-song, with close-ups displayed on big screens flanking the stage. And I have to admit: as far as whistling goes, she was really good.

Molly Lewis

Judge for yourself. Her best line came when introducing her final song: This one's big in Poland!" 

Whistling Performance

Beck With the San Diego Symphony Orchestra

After the opener, we watched the sun set over the bay and boats drift in the distance. The stage lighting was beautiful, and the light show was a lot of fun.

Sailboats at sunset

Though I didn't recognize many of the songs, I really enjoyed the way he incorporated the symphony with his music. Later, David shared with us his song "Lonesome Tears" which was recorded with a small horn section. But with an entire symphony? It was Beck-tacular!


The Green Stage

Light show

And near the end he played his most famous song, which I recognized! Although I was so confused about the chorus "I'm a lizard baby, so why don't you kill me!" Apparently not. (I can't be the only one who has no idea what the lyrics are half the time!) 

"Loser" by Beck

A Sweet Surprise

Earlier, Dawn learned my birthday had been a few days ago. She was horrified that I hadn't had cake--apparently, a raspberry tart doesn't count. She planned for us to go out for a fancy dessert after the concert.

Unfortunately, post-concert traffic trapped us in the parking garage for 45 minutes--the same time the  Padres game let out--so dessert was a lost cause that night.

But Dawn wasn't giving up. The next evening, she surprised me with a cake at home. David barbecued, friends gathered on the patio, and for the first time in ages, I blew out birthday candles. A small but sweet moment--and yes, the cake was delicious. 

Birthday Cake

So there you have it: my Very Beck Birthday.

Ciao, a dopo!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Few New Updates (#250)

A New Lunch Spot, A Little Bonsai and a Lot of Contractors

A Busy Last Week in San Diego