A Sunny Surprise on the Smith River
After spending the night at Ben's house, Ira came back to the Olson's to pick me up and head back out to brunch with Ben and Laura. Their girls, Olivia and Sienna, had spent the night at their cousin's, so after brunch we all returned to their place. Laura soon headed out to pick them up, and when the girls came back, they were bursting with excitement to go swimming in the river one last time before school started the next day.
I was skeptical. The morning was gray, cool, and overcast. But Laura promised that just that 15 minutes down the highway, the weather would be completely different--warm, sunny and perfect for swimming.
We didn't have our swimsuits, but we were happy to join as spectators. Sarah, Laura's cousin, and her two daughters were meeting us there too, so it would be nice to catch-up. With the gear loaded, off we went to Scramble Butt--yes, that's the real name--on the Smith River.
Scramble Butt Adventures
We pulled off on the side of the highway, grabbed our things, and watched the kids scramble down the steep incline toward the river. Laura and I took the more cautious approach--she admitted the last time she came down, she slipped and badly scratched her leg, so she was being extra careful today. Thankfully, I managed to make it down without mishap and without actually scrambling on my butt.
And wow--Laura was right. The moment we reached the riverbank, the sun was out and the air was warm. It felt like stepping into another world.
"Scramble Butt" on the Smith River
"Island" by the Jumping Rock
Tika sunbathing
Cooling off
Cousins, Rocks, and...SeaWorld?
Sarah arrived with her girls, and it was fun for the cousins to have friends their own age. Before long, they were all at the jumping rock, showing off their newly honed swimming skills from a summer of swim lessons. The confidence and joy were infectious.Jumping cousins
While the kids played, we caught up with Sara. Incredibly, she mentioned that she and her kids had just visited San Diego and SeaWorld in July. I laughed--we had gone then too! As we compared notes, we realized we had been there on the exact same day. We even attended some of the same shows, though somehow never crossed paths.
That is, until she checked her penguin-feeding photos later and there we were--me and Ira, unknowingly captured in her picture! What are the odds?
Sarah's pic- my head and right shoulder and Ira's left
Family, Food and Beginner's Luck
Eventually, it was time to head back to the Olsons for an early dinner (farm life means early mornings, after all). Jon and Marci's eldest, Alex, his wife Elisa, and their friend joined as well. Since it was Alex and Elisa's anniversary, Marci made their favorite dinner: sloppy joes.
Afterward, everyone was ready for games. They introduced me to a dice game I'd never played before--Liar's Dice. Later, I found out it even makes an appearance in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. Our version was far less intimidating and far more fun.
We played until it was down to me and Elisa's friend. Somehow, I managed to bluff him out completely. Winner, winner--beginner's luck!
Liar's Dice Extended Scene from Pirates of the Caribbean
A Musical Send-Off
Before the night ended, I joined Em at the piano. She was working on playing Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata by ear. Since I had been practicing it recently, I sat beside her, and together we turned it into a duet--she played one hand, I played the other. It was a sweet, impromptu moment.
We said our goodbyes that evening since we were leaving the next day. Next stop: Redwood National and State Parks on our way to San Francisco.
A dopo!






Comments
Post a Comment