A Birthday Worth Celebrating

As a general rule, Ira and I rarely celebrate birthdays. In fact, we haven't exchanged gifts in years. But this year, I made a request: brunch and a walk along the bayside. I love brunch, and the idea of pairing it with a scenic stroll sounded just right.

I was especially looking forward to being out and about because just the day before, my chiropractor had adjusted both of my feet. I'd been dealing with awful heel pain and had diagnosed myself with plantar fasciitis. Turns out, my cuboid and talus bones were out of place--likely from all the walking we've been doing lately. A few bones out of alignment can really cause a lot of pain, but the relief was almost immediate. Now I'm equipped with a set of stretches to help keep my feet happy. So now, I'm ready to go!

Brunch at the French Gourmet

Since we've had such great experiences with the bread and pastries at The French Gourmet, we decided to try their brunch--and we weren't disappointed. 

Classic Eggs Benedict
Served with home fries and a side of brown sugar-glazed bacon

Baked Eggs Provençale
Tomato concasse, roasted red peppers, eggplant and jack cheese

Both were delicious! Before we left, we picked up a small raspberry tart for later. Then we were off to check out the bayside walk. 

Bayside Walk and Sailing School

The sun was out and the bayside walk was buzzing with activity. We spotted what appeared to be a sailing class in session--dozens of two-person boats scattered across the water. Every so often, a horn would blast what sounded like some sort of Morse code, perhaps instructions only the sailors could understand. It gave us something fun to watch as we strolled. 

We walked a good distance in one direction--it looked like the path might go all the way to Fiesta Island, but we turned around before we could find out. Lots of people were out enjoying the day, just like us. It really was a perfect way to spend the afternoon.

Sailing school

Impromptu Plans

The night before, I had been scrolling on my phone and happened to see an ad for the San Diego Candlelight concerts. I've seen theme many times but never clicked--until this time. To my surprise, there was a Hans Zimmer Candlelight String Quartet performance happening on my birthday, and there were still tickets available. So guess where we were headed?

Evening in Oceanside

The concert was in Oceanside about a 40-minute drive from La Jolla. We left early to make sure we could get parking near the theater. 

The Star Theater in Oceanside

The Star Theater was our destination, but we had a bit of time to kill before the show started. So Ira, always resourceful, planned a little detour to.....

The Top Gun House

On our way towards the ocean, we passed by a beautiful building that turned out to be Oceanside City Hall.

Oceanside City Hall

Eventually, me made it to the actual destination: The Top Gun House--yes, that house. I say that like it's not a 40 year old movie and most people would know what I'm referring to. But sometimes it's nice to make-believe. 

The Top Gun House

Originally built in 1887, this oceanfront Queen Anne Cottage is now the last of its kind still standing in San Diego county. But it's best known as the house where scenes between Tom Cruise and Kelly McGillis were filmed for Top Gun in 1985.

Parked out front was an exact replica of Tom Cruise's motorcycle from the film: the Kawasaki Ninja ZX900. 

Top Gun House scene

The house is now a pie shop, but they're definitely leaning into the Top Gun legacy--with memorabilia and all.

Top Gun Memorabilia

A Walk on the Pier

With time to spare, we wandered out onto Oceanside Pier.

Oceanside Pier

On the opposite side of the pier, we noticed a crowd had gathered. Turns out, we'd stumbled upon a marriage proposal! I asked a couple nearby if they knew the couple, and they said no--just curious onlookers like us. Apparently, we weren't the only ones intrigued. 

Marriage Proposal

From the pier, you could also see the the Top Gun House framed perfectly by the surrounding Mission Pacific Hotel. It gave Up vibes--like the little house refusing to budge amid all the modern development. Allegedly, the film may have been inspired by this real life Up House.

Reminiscent of the "Up" House

The Main Event: Candlelight Concert

We headed back to the theater for the concert. The stage was lit entirely by candlelight and featured a string quartet performing the music of Hans Zimmer, best known for his iconic movie scores. 

Pre-concert stage shot

I appreciated the pre-concert instructions prohibiting photography during the concert. There would be an opportunity near the end of the concert but insisted on zero flash photography. They even went so far as having us test the flash-off option prior. It definitely enhanced the experience by keeping the theater dark. A win for the performers! 

String Quartet
The set list included:
  • Time from Inception
  • This Land from The Lion King
  • Now We Are Free from Gladiator
  • A Dark Knight from The Dark Knight
  • Cornfield Chase from Interstellar
  • Plus selections from Wonder Woman and Pirates of the Caribbean 
Even if you didn't know them by name, you'd likely recognize several if you've seen the movies. One of Zimmer's most iconic pieces (at least for me) wasn't performed that night, but I'll include a video below to a stunning live version from Prague.

Hans Zimmer live

I especially appreciated the stellar bell performance.

A dopo!


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Few New Updates (#250)

A New Lunch Spot, A Little Bonsai and a Lot of Contractors

A Busy Last Week in San Diego