American History?

Let me start by saying that in my ignorance, the Smithsonian Institution´s National Museum of American History did not make my short list for the trip. I was imagining floors devoted to war memorabilia, tanks and guns etcetera. But what I didn´t know is that the definition of American history was considerably broader than my scope. What sealed the deal for our visit was Aunt Laurie suggesting we visit Julia Child´s kitchen. What?! Well of course we were going. If you recall we were coming from the People's House exhibit and this was our last stop of the day. So for efficiency's sake, I asked for directions at the Information desk. There wasn't enough time to wander aimlessly, we were on a mission! Anything else we saw after that would be a bonus.

I first learned of this exhibit from the movie Julie & Julia. If you've never seen it, it is a biographical drama that weaves the lives of two women: Julia Child, who discovered her passion for French cooking and wrote Mastering the Art of French Cooking, and Julie Powell, a struggling writer who challenges herself to cook all 524 recipes from Child's book in a year while blogging about it. The scene below is the final scene where Julie visits the Smithsonian Museum. 


Julia Child shaped American culinary history through her books and TV shows and encouraged a love for cooking. In 2001, she donated her Cambridge kitchen to the Smithsonian, where it showcases evolving food trends from the 1950s onward.


As we are in the process of designing our kitchen, I enjoyed reading her thoughts regarding hers. She preferred to have her pots and pans on a pegboard for quick and easy access. She made sure that tools and equipment were placed near the surfaces where they would be used. Her pots and pans and utensils are near the stove, her knives are near the sink and her small appliances are set on solid work surfaces, ready to use.

I also learned that Julia acquired most of her copper cookware in France and much of it came from the old culinary store E. Dehillerin. They are still in business, perhaps a trip to France is in order, maybe we can come back with one good pot! That would be fun! What I didn't realize is that her book Mastering the Art of French Cooking in 1961 was a new kind of cookbook. Julia believed that a recipe should be written so the cook knows the potential problems that might arise. She paved the way for other books written for ambitious and adventurous cooks.

After our walk through the kitchen, I was keen to find Dorothy's ruby red slippers, from the movie I grew up watching, The Wizard of Oz. So after asking for directions again, we walked up to the third floor to visit the "Ray Dolby Gateway to America Culture" wing. The exhibit was full of recognizable items from the entertainment industry. I include here the things that were iconic to my life.

Jacket and hat worn by Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones
and the braided kangaroo leather whip he wielded.

The Indiana Jones franchise debuted in 1981. Goodness, has it been that long? The movies were full of adventure, globe-trotting and rescue of enchanted historical artifacts. What's not to love?

Archie and Edith Bunker's chairs
from the 1970s TV series "All in the Family"

I remember watching this series in my pre-teens. I can still hum the theme song "Those Were the Days". Though I don't really remember much about what went on in the series, I do remember thinking it funny that Archie called his son-in-law "Meathead". 

Costume worn by Lucy Lawless
on the TV series Xena: Warrior Princess

I was probably too old to be watching this series in 1995, but I grew up watching Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman, so it was right up my alley. Another strong woman with powers, add in Greek gods and monsters and I was entertained.

 
Going back a little earlier in my childhood and you find these two guys, Bert and Ernie.

Bert and Ernie

These were the puppets from the test pilot episode of Sesame Street in 1969. They are considered historical artifacts due to their long-standing role in children's television and the Muppets' cultural impact. I remember Ernie being my favorite, but that Bert won me over with his "Pigeon Dance". I include it here for those who are curious.

"The Pigeon"

Another iconic tv show from my childhood was Mr. Roger's Neighborhood. Below you can watch his opening song "Won't You Be My Neighbor". They have his shoes on display. 




There was a section on sports, which for me, growing up was watching boxing with my dad. My dad loved it! So we watched a lot of it. His favorite boxer was Muhammad Ali, "Floats like a butterfly, Stings like a bee!".

Robe worn while training for the championship bout
with George Forman, 1974

Kermit the Frog and Fozzie Bear

Two of my favorites of Jim Henson's Muppets. I'm realizing that music apparently made an impact on my childhood since what I remember most about Kermit was his song, "Rainbow Connection". I'm enjoying this walk down memory lane, and am including the videos not only for myself, but for those who didn't grow up watching the same shows, but it won't hurt my feelings if you skip over them.

"Rainbow Connection" by Kermit the Frog

However, I'm going to make an assumption that everyone recognizes the below characters. Star Wars is world-wide and universal, right? Leave me a comment, if it's not. I remember lining up outside during a cold Canadian winter with my favorite uncle to see the very first Star Wars film on the big screen. 

C-3P0 and R2-D2

Though I was oblivious, the exhibit commentary indicated that the Star Wars series that began in 1977 inspired a nation in dire need of a new hope after its loss in Vietnam and the Watergate scandal.

By this time I was beginning to worry that Dorothy's slipper exhibit was closed for maintenance, LOL, but I shouldn't have. They were here!

Dorothy's ruby slippers

Again, for reference for those who haven't seen The Wizard of Oz.


In 1939, Dorothy was carried by a tornado from the Kansas dust bowl to the colorful Land of Oz, where she encountered new and frightening challenges along the yellow brick road. Her story spoke to a nation facing challenges of their own, from a global economic depression to the prospect of a second world war.

After we finished with this wing, we ducked our heads into a couple more exhibits. But by this time, we were nearing the end of our day and my feet were done for. So we whipped through an exhibit of all the inaugural gowns worn by the First Ladies throughout history. There were so many people in this space, it was difficult to take photos.

I don't think we even saw half of what there was to see in this museum. It's crazy how much there is to see. But after learning more about President Lincoln in the portrait gallery, I felt like ending this museum post with this photo. This was the top hat that he wore to Ford's Theater on April 14, 1865, when he was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth.


In death, Lincoln achieved the adoration and popular appeal that eluded him in life. He became a martyr for national unity and equality and a hero to the millions who responded to his death with an unprecedented outpouring of grief. 

A dopo!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Few New Updates (#250)

A New Lunch Spot, A Little Bonsai and a Lot of Contractors

A Busy Last Week in San Diego