This is winter!

It's definitely winter in Edmonton, which Ira hadn't experienced until now. At -29℃ it wasn't difficult to convince him to switch to a lined knit cap and swap his sneakers for some medium weight boots. Brrr, even I'm feeling the cold.

Snow covered streets in my parents' neighbourhood

Icicle on the tailpipe

This is Ira's picture of the icicle that began forming on the tailpipe of our rental car. It wasn't picture worthy to me, but then again I grew up here, so what do I know?

View from mom's rehab room

All you can do is look forward to when it warms back up to -4℃, it's going to feel like springtime!

We decided to take a break and take in a museum. Mostly to give mom a break and let her rest. Ira thought it would be cool to check out the Alberta Aviation Museum. I didn't even know we had one, LOL.

Sundogs

We arrived when it opened and were greeted by sundogs, the little mini rainbows on either side of the sun. It was a first for Ira! I found out while researching for the blog that they are formed by sunlight passing through ice crystals in the atmosphere. Which explains why I grew up with them and he'd never seen them before. 

At the museum we learned that in 1927, Blatchford Field, located where the museum now stands, became Canada's first licensed airfield. By 1942, it had grown to become the busiest airport in the world. During World War II, it played a pivotal role as a key staging point for the Allies and served as a major stopover on the Northwest Staging Route. 

I found this display interesting regarding bird strike damage. The bird hit midway above the center. You can see a few feathers.


This is the closeup of the damage the bird made to the blades.


This display was still a work in progress. Actually when it's complete, it will be a flight simulator. Not that I'm an expert, but it looked like a legitimate simulator to me.


The ones I'm familiar with are more like this one. That's Ira in the pilot seat, by the way. He'd want me to tell you that he successfully landed the plane. It wasn't pretty, but everyone survived.


That's it for now.

A dopo!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Few New Updates (#250)

A New Lunch Spot, A Little Bonsai and a Lot of Contractors

A Busy Last Week in San Diego