Scarlino
Today was a big day. Melissa had scheduled hair appointments for both of us in Scarlino, a little town about 20 minutes from Massa. When I asked why not with her girl in Massa, it was because she was taking vacation for the month of November, but Rachele, the mother of one of V.S.'s classmates, is very good at color. She said next time, I could go to the one in Massa.
To this I asked if stylists didn't get upset when you went to another stylist and the idea was completely foreign to her. I explained that generally speaking Americans are loyal to one stylist and to change would be like breaking up with a boyfriend. She thought I was joking. There are YouTube videos on how to break up with your hairstylist, I wasn't joking.
We arrived in Scarlino, a half hour early, but fortunately Rachele was free. With her minimal English and my minimal Italian, we figured everything out, and even managed a little small talk. Ira had his haircut with the barber/owner. Thank goodness for Google Translate! The color was very thorough and cost less than half what I would normally pay, and the tip we gave was not expected, so everyone wins!
Before leaving, at Melissa's suggestion, we decided to visit the castle in Scarlino. So, before jumping in the car, we poked our heads into Coop, bought some foccacia pizza for a snack and then headed up the hill.
After our snack we walked the rest of the way around the castle and then headed back home. Ah home...I realized it's nice to be able to say that again.
On our afternoon walk we stopped by the Farmacia. Ira was in need of lip balm. We looked around in vain and finally asked for help. After confirming we needed something "idratante" for the lips she grabbed something from behind the counter for us. Fingers crossed that meant hydrating!
Stay tuned for the face off tomorrow.
A dopo!



Comments
Post a Comment