The Huntress

Our bonsai friend, Wade and his girlfriend Angie were in San Diego for Comic-Con this past weekend, which meant that five out of six of our Juniper 1 Mirai class were in the same city. The only one missing was Edwin, whom we visited in Chicago. Naturally, we had to go out to dinner! 

RC chose a steak house near their hotel, the Huntress, and we carpooled with him to reduce the number of parking spots we'd need to find. It was fun catching up. This was Wade's 25th Comic-Con and unlike the one he took us to in Portland this was the original Grand Daddy of them all, closely tied to Hollywood industry.

We all had steaks, Ira chose a dry-rub but later learned that dry-rubs are more suited to fattier cuts of meat than the one he picked. No worries though--I was happy eating the medium parts while he enjoyed the medium-rare portions closer to the bone.

For dessert, we ordered the "Magic Mushroom" to share. I took a video of the presentation under glass,  but to keep to my 'no people' blog rule, I couldn't post it. After spending way too much time trying to edit out the people, I decided to just post the still shots.

After the cover was lifted and the smoke dissipated, the Magic Mushroom was revealed!


Cream cheese mousse, passion fruit & pineapple compote, salted butter crumble, air cake, passion fruit sherbet. Here's what it looks like inside.


I didn't ask what exactly 'air cake' was, but I can say it was very light and fluffy. It was as delicious as it was fun. After dinner, we walked several blocks to the Mutant Ninja Turtles Pizza shop. They were selling shirts and other merch' but the line-up was too long, so we left empty-handed.

We walked back to our parking spot which RC had 'borrowed' from his trainer who lives downtown. In the lobby of her building was this display.


It's a showcase of all the things they found in the dirt when they dug the foundation for the building. I thought it was cool. Unlike in Italy, where if you dig and find something you have to report it to the Museum of Antiquities, sorry to our Italian friends, if this is not the right name. But the point is, whatever they are digging up here is not going to be centuries old and no one will care. I thought the display was a creative touch for the lobby. The bottom right corner was ceramic pieces, the top right was parts of shoes, the top left are glass pieces and the bottom left were the metal pieces.

Stay tuned, because Wade scored us passes to the sold-out Comic-Con event!

A dopo!





Comments

  1. Love the lobby display. So
    Interesting! -K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was such a clever nod to the history of the location.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Few New Updates (#250)

A New Lunch Spot, A Little Bonsai and a Lot of Contractors

A Busy Last Week in San Diego