The Fourth In The Closet
Okay, I know I'm behind, a week, to be exact. Nuff said.
Once the booming stopped and he was settled on the floor, he was ready for some alone time. So we left him in peace.
This day was going along fine. I had the day off, and Ira and I enjoyed a lovely relaxing day--something we've both come to appreciate. Ira had bought a steak and barbecued it, as Americans are wont to do on this holiday. It was hard to resist the smells of meat wafting through the neighborhood, so we couldn't help but partake.
After dinner we continued our Back to the Future re-watch session when all hell broke loose. It sounded like it was right next door but as Letty later told us, it was actually at the La Jolla club down the hill. Fireworks were going off like crazy--BOOM BOOM BOOM! Kobayashi sprang up like a bat out of hell, completely freaked out! We both jumped up and coaxed him down the hall into the bedroom closet. It took him all of three seconds to muster the courage to walk across the non-carpet and into the closet.
We followed him in to help console him. He stood in the closet, shaking like a leaf. We sprayed his Thundershirt, got it on him, and then I searched for his hat. After I finally found it and put it on him, we took turns hugging him, playing music, and singing to him. Despite our efforts, he kept on shaking. He was so distraught--it was awful.
Thankfully the fireworks show didn't last long, and he finally calmed down enough to lie down, though not quite ready to leave the closet.
Poor Kobayashi. It just breaks your heart, doesn't it?


Comments
Post a Comment