Farmer's Market
The morning started with my Italian class. I lucked out and ended up having a private session. To add a twist to the first part of class, since my pronunciation was decent, we would work on the rhythm of my speech. Biancamaria would say a sentence and I would try to repeat it, imitating the flow. I focused on where she broke up the sentence, whether the breaks ended up or down, and if there was any emotion or tone. It was challenging and made my brain hurt, but it was good practice. Biancamaria said that mastering this makes a big difference in how well natives can understand you.
Biancamaria explained that it depicted the Rape of the Sabine Women. We didn't delve deeply into it, but we learned that after Romulus killed his brother Remus he returned to a Rome without women. To increase the population, Romulus and his men kidnapped women from the Sabine. The war between Rome and the Sabine men lasted so long that the women began to fall in love with their captors, leading to a discussion on "The Stockholm Syndrome" . It was a busy class.
We found parking fairly close, which we realized later was very lucky. We walked past the stalls selling jewelry, clothing, and various other tchotchkes and headed straight to the produce area. After making our way through to the sausage trailer, we bought two packages of sausages for way too much money. That should have been a clue. Berries, peaches, arugula, and kale later our wallet was considerably lighter and we decided it was a one and done. But we sure were going to enjoy those sausages, LOL.
The second part of the class was listening comprehension. I listened to a story with pictures to help with understanding. Today's story was a continuation of the myth of Romulus and Remus. We started with a picture and I was asked if I knew what it depicted. I didn't.
After class Ira and I had decided to go to the La Jolla farmer's market to buy fresh produce and then supplement at the regular supermarket.
The rest of the day was spent watching movies, walking Kobayashi--three times today, a record!! I made The Kale Salad That Started It All thinking that for the amount we paid, it should be highlighted. It turned out great. We had it with the most expensive baguette, which was delicious but also overpriced.
For dinner, we had breakfast, featuring those expensive chicken and apple sausages. They were yummy. I might have let Kobayashi taste the teensiest bit. I know, I know, but I feel so bad for him when he looks up at me longingly. I'm just a softie.
A dopo!


Comments
Post a Comment