The week passed routinely. I worked, we walked Kobayashi a few times a day, and we finished watching the Netflix series Alexander: the Making of a God. Before the series, I didn't know much about Alexander the Great, so I found it both extremely interesting and surprisingly entertaining. One thing I learned was that one of Alexander's closest companions was Ptolemy, the future ruling dynasty of Egypt. This was particularly timely as we had just finished a series on Cleopatra, though I wouldn't recommend that one.
We took advantage of our last weekend in the main house before before Dawn and her youngest daughter, Elke arrived Sunday night. As it turned out, they didn't get back until early Monday morning, and unfortunately, their luggage wasn't as lucky. Oh the joys of travelling! This is only one of the reasons Ira and I like to travel light.
Now it's Monday, and the house is bustling with activity. The tile refinishers were here, Dawn and Elke and Elke's friend were here, the landscapers were around, and more of Elke's friends showed up along with parents. Kobayashi had no idea where to turn! But at least he was in much better spirits now that half of his family was back. He only growled at the tile workers once--LOL!
At the end of my work day, we decided to take a nice late afternoon walk on our own. Since I haven't had much to post lately, we thought it might be nice to post photos from our walk.
I just love hedges. Though from the bonsai perspective, hedges are not loved. In fact, "hedge pruning" is considered an insult in the bonsai world. Topiary is not the same as bonsai. However, I can take my bonsai hat off and just appreciate them for what they are, living fences.
Locals pass through
We used to turn around once we reached the dead end. We thought this was an entry into someone's property. But David told us it was a locals pass through to another street.
You end up here to this row of trees, we think they are some type of Ficus, maybe Port Jackson Fig? Either way, the aerial roots on these old trees are ridiculous!
We walked all the way down the street then hung a right. And came across this pretty hedge. I like the curved top.
At the end of the hedge, you end up at the gate where you can peak through to the circular driveway and see the spectacular tree in the center. They must have just pruned it, because it was perfectly mushroom topped.
We walked a couple blocks further then hung a right to this house. I like the aged copper door and chimney top. I also think the landscaping compliments the house. What do you think?
A couple blocks down and we reach the second locals pass through back to the streets we were more familiar with.
At the end of the path we turned left and found another pretty hedged entry.
A couple blocks down and to the right we came across two huge strawberry trees. Ira remembered that Luigi, a significant collector of bonsai in Italy was very proud of his strawberry tree bonsai.
These ones were full of fruit!
At the end of this street we reach the curved double hedge path or the CDHP, hee hee.
I think the actual name of street is Mallorca, which wouldn't it be cool if the hedges were Mallorcan olive trees? Well I think it would be cool. At the end of this path we take a left, another left and then a right and we get to this pretty gate.
With a ginormous hedge on one side!
Now we're on the home stretch. Round the corner and if you're not paying attention you'll miss the secret entrance between the hedges.
Up the hill and past this stately home.
And then a few more steps and we're home.
I was going to end this blog here, but we took a different route for our walk on Tuesday night and there were some noteworthy additions.
I'm not particularly fond of this gate, but I include it only to show that behind what looks like a park is the front door of the house. Ira loves a good setback, but holey moley!
And then next door, Ira thinks these owners might have reached out to Massa Marrittima and asked if they would ship them some big honking gates. I mean good golly, these doors must be two stories high and look down right medieval!
Finally, I end with this simple but interesting of what I can only assume is a solid wood door.. Ira really liked this door with the wood inlay. I'm not actually sure what you call it. But that brings us to a wrap for this post.
A dopo!
What a lovely neighborhood!! -K
ReplyDeleteYes, we feel very lucky to have been able to spend time there.
Delete