Nica

After a fun-filled four days, we happily spent the next day and a half, relaxing in our airbnb. We did some Duolingo, Ira got caught up on his shows and I blogged and managed to find a competition channel on freeTV. How funny is it to watch a channel dedicated to Japanese Ninja competitions dubbed in Spanish? 

We were well rested by the time Magda came to pick us up to take us to the airport. Lucky for us she was available because Charlie was still at the office and Sara was a little nervous to drive as far as the airport. We arrived in plenty of time, though our lotion, sunscreen and Ira's nail scissors were confiscated. Oh well, sometimes that's the way it goes.

There wasn't a Delta Sky Lounge, but there was an American Express Lounge. They let us come in but only if we paid the entry fee using our Delta Amex. Strangely the charge only worked when I used my digital wallet. Weird, right? We had the whole lounge to ourselves and it was air conditioned. Though it might have been a little too air conditioned as I had to force myself not to pull out my jacket. I figured it would be awhile before I would feel goosebumps again LOL.

It was a short 30 minute flight to El Salvador, followed by a short wait in the terminal and a 40 minute flight to Nicaragua. We were one of the first to get off the plane and in line at customs. I didn't time it, but it felt like the agent kept us there for a good 20 minutes. He reviewed our forms, filled out several other forms, checked our passports, asked us several questions, took our fingerprints and then stamped our passports and other papers. All the interaction was in Spanish but thankfully I was able to maneuver through without any issues. This agent was much more serious and by the book than the one in Belize, so it felt like there was less leeway for mistakes. 

Our driver was waiting for us and in an hour we were in Grenada at our homestay. It was hot, but we were tired and fell right to sleep.

Catedral de Granada

Granada is a Spanish colonial town easily distinguished by the Cathedral in the main square. It was situated right in front of a horse and buggy lined park. The buildings are freshly painted in bright fun colors.

Tiled picture

Our first day in Nicaragua was a day full of Spanish classes, several trips to 'la farmacia' to replace our lotion and sunscreen. Ira even bought a pair of shorts. Lunch and dinner was provided at our homestay and both were delicious! I have to say for $19 each we have a private room and bathroom and 3 meals per day. Steal of a deal. Plus the head of the family, Winston is an artist and was very interesting to talk to you. I got a lot of practice speaking, which is exactly the reason for staying at a homestay.

We also met the other student staying there. We call her Denver or Colorado, since that's where she's from but we didn't exchange names. She was here to take a week of Spanish classes and then she was volunteering for a week to teach English. She also teaches English online for 20 hours a week. Her plan was to go to Costa Rica next in hopes of finding a job to supplement her income. Ira and I both admired her spirit and courage. I don't believe I could or would have done the same at her age.

But we're here now and I had planned on taking 8 hours of lessons over 4 days, but Ira figured the whole point of coming to Nicaragua was immersion. So we agreed I should dive in and take double that. I guess now is as good a time as any to move to the next level.

A dopo or maybe I should say Más tarde!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Few New Updates (#250)

A New Lunch Spot, A Little Bonsai and a Lot of Contractors

A Busy Last Week in San Diego