Italian Nica style


Since our house was put on the market, we have been discussing our next moves. Once the house is sold, the contract to renovate needs to be signed in Italy (they don't do Docusign) at the same time the second deposit of funds is made. So we discussed another trip to Italy, but then I thought why fly back? Wouldn't we want to be present to watch the progress of the construction?

So then we discussed finding an apartment in Italy. We thought maybe Follonica by the sea, 15 minute drive from Massa. Ira could have his dream of living by the sea and we could explore the larger town and all it has to offer, maybe check out the ballroom dance studio.

In the end, we decided to look for an apartment to rent in Massa and start to get acquainted with our  adopted town sooner. So we reached out to Niccolò, Andrea and Melissa for help finding a place. Coincidentally, Andrea and Melissa's upstairs neighbor happened to be in Nicaragua and might be open to renting it out to us in the fall. So Ira coordinated lunch in Managua this day.

Massimo works for the Italian consulate. His daughter Stephanie happened to be visiting. They prepared a lovely multi course meal for us in his beautiful condo overlooking the tops of the trees.

View from the balcony

Of course, no Italian meal is complete without wine for each course at a beautifully set table. This was no different. 

Table set for lunch

There was one other member of the family who was ready for lunch. Maya, their Sharpei. Isn't she beautiful?

Maya patiently waiting for lunch

The first course was pasta Amatriciana. As it turns out, Massimo is Roman, so it made sense that he would make us one of the big four Roman pastas. Do you remember the other three? I will admit that I haven't had many to compare to but I can attest that this one was so delicious, I could have licked the plate. Massimo said it would have been better had he had guanciale, but he had to make due with  bacon.

Primo - Pasta Amatriciana

The second course was roasted bell peppers with capers on toast, roasted tomatoes and sliced fresh avocado on the side. I wish I would have taken a picture of the leftover avocado because it was gigantic. It was maybe 9 inches long, like it was on steroids but so delicious.

Secondi

Maya had finished her lunch by this time and was now in the mood to make friends. If she wasn't licking you she was gnawing playfully on your arm.

Maya after lunch making friends

Although I was already stuffed, I made room for the fruit plate. fresh pineapple, papaya, banana and mango. You know it was delicious.

Le frutta

To finish we had Campari with tonic (instead of Prosecco) for the digestif (to aid with digestion). I wonder if that's why I didn't have a stomachache after eating fruit on a full stomach?

Digestif

Massimo apologized several times that he had already sent most of his things back to Italy so he didn't have everything he needed to make a proper lunch. As it turns out, Massimo was now officially retired and would be back in Italy in July to reunite with his wife who is at their main house in Rome.

We spent the last bit of time looking at pictures online of their summer apartment in Massa. It was filled with all the beautiful pieces he had collected in Saudi Arabia and India but didn't fit in his house in Rome. Needless to say it was very beautiful. He said that he's never rented it out to anyone before because he loves every piece but that because we were friends of friends he would if we wanted. 

We thanked him for his generosity and let him know that we would be in touch once we knew our plans.

A dopo.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Few New Updates (#250)

A New Lunch Spot, A Little Bonsai and a Lot of Contractors

A Busy Last Week in San Diego