The Chicago Field Museum

After a fun morning on the Architecture River Cruise we headed back to the lobby of the 'Daily Planet' for some lunch before wandering through the Chicago Architecture Center for some final architectural tidbits and souvenirs.

The rains came as we were deciding what to do next when I remembered that my old boss would always come back from Chicago with Garrett Popcorn. So we found a nearby shop and bought a bag of the famous Garrett Mix (cheddar & caramel). Sweet and salty is always a classic.

We finally decided on the Chicago Field Museum. Ira loves the dinosaurs. And smack dab in the middle of the impressive lobby was this little guy.


'Máximo" the titanosaur

He is 122 feet long and 28 feet high. It travelled to Chicago in pieces over two shipping containers from Patagonia, Argentina. I thought it was interesting that you could walk directly under him. I don't recall ever being able to do that before.


It kind of looks like some sort of arachnid, doesn't it? So strange. I only took the next two pics because I recently learned that there is a difference between the two Spanish words I know for owl. 

Buho - an owl with plumage on the head that look like ears

Whereas without the head plumage, it would be a lechuza.

Lechuza, or Hedwig?

There were rooms upon rooms of animal displays. many of which I had never heard of before.  I include this one because we are headed to Guatemala in a few weeks. 

Quetzal

This is the national bird of Guatemala. Not sure if we'll see any, as they are found in damp mountain cloud forests. I'm not sure what a cloud forest is but it sounds beautiful.
 
View of downtown Chicago from the Field Museum

This is a different type of cloud forest. Though that might just be smog, LOL. After the extensive animal displays, we went through the Egyptian exhibit. We started out in a tomb and then worked our way to the bottom of the tomb where the other Egyptian artifacts were displayed. It was very cool.

Sue, Tyrannosaurus Rex

The museum was closing so we decided to head straight for the rest of the dinosaur exhibits. The finale was this T Rex, nNamed after Sue Hendrickson, who discovered the dinosaur in 1990 during an excavation trip north of Faith, South Dakota.

Which is the perfect segue for the next blog. Stay tuned!

A dopo!.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Few New Updates (#250)

A New Lunch Spot, A Little Bonsai and a Lot of Contractors

A Busy Last Week in San Diego