Chicago Botanic Gardens

As I was writing this blog, my second one today, our beloved Huntington Botanical Gardens came to mind and how it might rank against other gardens across the country. Of course Ira and I are both biased, but were surprised by what we found. We chalked it up to subjectivity.

USA Today published a list in June of 2022, stating that the best gardens help promote and conserve plant diversity while showcasing them beautifully. The editors partnered with experts and came up with their list, which Huntington didn't even make. Shocker. Kudos to Portland's Japanese Garden who came in at #10. If you're interested, here's the article and list. 

I then found an unranked list by Fodor posted in January 2023 that did include the Huntington. Here's the link for Fodor's List.  I decided to call it good and stop there. The Huntington will always hold a special place in our hearts regardless of it's rank on any list. Though it does make us curious to visit the other gardens.  

One fun fact I came across was the first nationally landmarked and oldest surviving garden in North America is Bartram's Garden in Pennsylvania. So I can add that to my Pennsylvania bucket list along side the Hershey's chocolate factory. Ira tells me the whole town smells like chocolate!

But, let me get back to today's topic, the Chicago Botanic Gardens. Today we piled into the car with Edwin, Janeth, their daughter Luna and her friend Alexa. I know, right? 


We headed first to see the bonsai collection. I found this indoor display interesting. But sadly, the remaining collection was nowhere in sight.

Bonsai displays with no bonsai

So, we consoled our disappointment with walks around the other gardens. I'm being silly, obviously. It was a lovely day in the gardens. Below is a pretty promenade we stopped at to have a drink. Luna and Alexa cooled off splashing water on themselves at a nearby fountain.


The temperature was only in the 80s, but the humidity was making it uncomfortable. Luna wanted to know 'where was the water that she could get in?' .

English garden

We walked through the landscape garden, through the English garden to finally reach the Japanese garden. This garden consisted of 3 islands, two are open to the public and the third across the lake was inaccessible (the Island of Everlasting Happiness) symbolizing paradise -- in sight yet elusive.


By this time, the girls were both tired, so it was one last push to see the waterfall before heading back to the car for some lunch and then home.


Although it was both puzzling and disappointing not to see the bonsai collection, it wasn't so terrible walking through the gardens.

A dopo!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Few New Updates (#250)

A New Lunch Spot, A Little Bonsai and a Lot of Contractors

A Busy Last Week in San Diego