The Homes of Sierra Madre

My last post on Sierra Madre and I felt I had to give a nod to the unique homes of this California neighborhood. The first one is The Pinney House. Izzy thought it might be an airBnb now and she was so curious to stay there at least one night.

The Pinney House

As it turns out the house was designed by famed architects Samuel and Joseph Cather Newsom and built for retired Civil War surgeon Dr. Elbert Pinney. It was reported that the house was built in 1887 as a "railroad hotel" for East Coasters making land purchases. Later it was used as a sanatorium, boarding house and film location.

Hansel & Gretel's house

This one just reminded me of a fairy tale house. Maybe it's the big tall chimney and the winding walkway to the front door.

Japanese Teahouse House

This one is showing it's age, but Steve said the whole property was once a tea house and Japanese gardens. I felt it warranted a spot in this post.

The Porch House

I like the sleek design on this one I call "The Porch House" it seems right at home with the mountain behind amidst the trees. And then right around the corner you have this one that's so different but cool in its own way.

The Pink Adobe

And then there's this one, it's like a more refined version of a log cabin.

The Wood Panel House

I leave the best for last, I actually went by a second time to take more pictures.

The Watchtower

From the side of the property you can see the watchtower in the back. The red roof might be a little casita nearer the front part of the property.

 

Then there is a hedge filled iron fence that goes for days until you see the gate to the driveway which seems to go through an archway through what I guess is the main house.

The main gate

And then you finally reach the main gate to the front door. And in case you can't read the top of the gate, here's a close up.

Mia Italia

How cool is that?!

A dopo.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Few New Updates (#250)

A New Lunch Spot, A Little Bonsai and a Lot of Contractors

A Busy Last Week in San Diego