The Adventures of Pinocchio

These days, downtime in front of the TV is not surprisingly filled with shows about Italy. And after multiple episodes of "House Hunters International", we came across a program called "Aerial Italy". This was the first time I became aware of a 63 foot tall Pinocchio in Collodi, a town in the Tuscany region of Italy. Collodi is also the pen name for the character's creator. 


Contrary to what many North Americans know, the character Pinocchio did not make its debut in the Disney film that taught kids about the perils of lying and the rewards of telling the truth. 


In fact, Carlo Collodi published the Storia di un Burattino (Story of a puppet) in the Italian newspaper Giornale per i bambini as as serial between 1881 and 1883. This was the first-ever publication for children written in Italian for a newly unified Italy.


This standard Italian was based on Tuscan, which is also the Italian that is generally taught now and likely the Italian we will hear most in Tuscany. All good things for Ira and I! 

As I was writing this post it occurred to me that Pinocchio could also help me keep my promise to Melissa to read a little Italian every day. And since often I prefer the books to the movies it makes perfect sense to read the novel Pinocchio in Italian?

A dopo!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Few New Updates (#250)

A New Lunch Spot, A Little Bonsai and a Lot of Contractors

A Busy Last Week in San Diego