Maximus Goes Home

If you've scene the movie Gladiator, the scenes where Maximum goes home to his family are the hills of Tuscany and specifically Val D'Orcia. Everywhere you look you see beautiful rolling hills of grapevines and olive orchards all the way to our first stop Abbazia di Sant'Antimo. 


The church dates back to 1118 and was built with travertine stone and alabaster found in a nearby mine. Inside the soothing sounds of chanting drew me towards the pulpit where I sat and listened for a minute. The music reminded me of one of my favorite university classes when I spent hours in the lab listening to Gregorian chants. I loved it and found it so calming. It was fitting in the simply unadorned church.


What you can't see in this picture is how intricately and beautifully the alabaster is carved. Each of the capitols of every pillar depicts a different story. Amazing! We later found out that the last time the monks were there was 2015. We made a note to come back if they ever came to sing again. How cool would that be!


I tried to record the chanting myself, but was sadly unsuccessful, so I added this video in case you're curious.  

Next stop was Bagno Vignoni which is famous for the "water square", a large pool where hot waters flow into. In the Middle Ages Santa Caterina stayed here. Remember my homework? I'm fairly sure it's the same Caterina, but I haven't completed my assignment yet. 😉 Though you can no longer take a dip in the square, they do have a spa and wellness resort.

We didn't spa that day but instead had a delicious lunch at their restaurant La Terrazza Melissa made us reservations and asked Laura, who spoke English to assist us but we decided to try it on our own and we managed just fine. That is until I misunderstood the directions to the bathroom and the lady had to chase me down. 😂

Ribolitta

Pici with shaved truffle

I took pictures of my lunch because it was stellar and I want to remember for when we come back. The Ribollita is a stew with kale and chickpeas, so good! And I L, O, V, E, LOVE tartufo or truffle. The pici is so yummy with just a little olive oil and the shaved truffle. Yum yum yum. 

The approach to Pienza

By far the approach to this little town is the most impressive we've seen so far. The picture doesn't do it justice, but all you see is the medieval town on the plateau as it has been for centuries. I guess the town is a UNESCO World Heritage site, so there's that.

Front Facade of the Duomo di Pienza

In the main square is the Duoma di Pienza. Inside we could see major cracks in the floor and walls and could feel the floor of the nave slanting downwards quite dramatically. Unfortunately it was built on a fault line and the church is sinking. Reconstruction has been almost continuous. 

Though we thought the town was quite charming and well maintained, it felt a little claustrophobic, perhaps due to the narrower streets and the lack of elevation change on the plateau. Even the square seemed tight and we couldn't imagine maneuvering during tourist season. The population is just over 2000, so a quarter of the size of Massa. Melissa told us also there is no grocery store there. So, lovely to visit, but not to live.

Today we are going to the seaside town of Castiglione della Pescaia for lunch. It's only 30 minutes away. I'll post pics when we get back.

A dopo!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Few New Updates (#250)

A New Lunch Spot, A Little Bonsai and a Lot of Contractors

A Busy Last Week in San Diego